Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Drafting process

At the request of my advisor, I have been trying to wrap my head around the best way to delineate some patches that have (up 'til now) only been assumed. The problem is this: while fairly dependable, the patching system in the PCT sound booth is unwieldy and is made up of mass connectors which partially patch to other mass connectors.

Until now, all our draftings have shown the signal going into the booth patch and coming out of the booth patch. What happens in between is magic as far as our paperwork has been concerned. It seems that everyone designing in that space gets their butt kicked the first time they roll in to patch that system together...I did on Noises Off. That being said, that memory is odious enough that I will allocate a lot of time and strategy to that process, whether it is all worked out on paper or not.

So, tomorrow we're going to look at whether it needs to have a graphic representation (on the signal line diagram or not), whether a spreadsheet with all the pertinent information is better, or whether there should be some stipulation about people having their mass connectors prepped and labeled at some point before load in.

I am not a fan of more paperwork for the sake of paperwork, and neither is my advisor. So, we'll see where we end up.

No comments: